Help is available for you and your church to target funding for projects – either for mission or for capital works. Projects come in all shapes and sizes and we’ve explored sources of funding for everything, from fixing church roofs to employing church youth or children’s workers.
It’s good practice for the day to day running costs and routine maintenance of the church to be met by regular, planned giving. Inevitably though, there’ll be times when a major appeal is needed. On this page you’ll find links to all sources of diocesan funding, along with links to external funders.
If you require further advice on planning, researching, funding and managing your project please contact us.
Looking for a grant for your project?
From churchyards to ministry areas… and so much in between, we might just have the thing for you….
Ministry Area Grants Available:
Buildings Grants Available:
Please read the grants guidance to work out which grant is best for you and what you will need to include in your application. Download the guidance here.
Quarterly Deadlines Diocesan Grants
- 14th February
- 15th May
- 11th September
- 13th November
Subscribe to our Weekly Email which features grant updates:
Other Grant Providers
For more information about other grant funding bodies please contact Libby,
Some popular ones are listed below,
Listed Places of Worship Grant Scheme
Scheme to reclaim the VAT on eligible buildings worked carried out to a listed place of worship.
Find out more and download the application form here, http://www.lpwscheme.org.uk/
National Churches Trust
- Large Grants - £10,000 - £50,000 towards major urgent structural repair projects, or projects to add kitchens or accessible toilets to enable increased community use.
- Medium Grants - £3000 - £10,000 towards project development & investigative work up to RIBA planning stage 1 to support planning & developing of a major project or urgent & essential maintenance projects costing £20,000 - £80,000.
- Small Grants - £500 - £5000 for urgent maintenance works & small repairs identified as high priority in a recent QI.
More info here https://www.nationalchurchestrust.org/
Welsh Churches Fund
Contribution towards the restoration & maintenance of any place of public worship or any burial ground. Usually £1000 - £2000, administered by local authority,
- Newport – https://www.newport.gov.uk/en/Council-Democracy/About-the-council/Welsh-Church-Fund.aspx
- Monmouthshire & Torfaen – https://www.monmouthshire.gov.uk/welsh-church-fund/
- Cardiff – https://www.cardiff.gov.uk/ENG/resident/Benefits-and-Grants/Other-Council-Grants/Pages/default.aspx
- Blaenau Gwent – https://www.blaenau-gwent.gov.uk/en/business/business-support-growth/grants-to-organisations/
- Caerphilly –https://www.caerphilly.gov.uk/Services/Benefits-and-grants/Grants-for-Communities/Welsh-Church-Fund
General Grant – usually £2,000 - £5,000 to support the repair, restoration, protection and improvement of churches, cathedrals and other places of Christian worship where changes support wider community use and enable greater impact. This grant also supports projects that help to tackle social issues, for example homelessness, poverty, climate change and cultural cohesion.
Roof Alarm Grant – up to £2,500 for installing a roof alarm.
Transformational Grant - funding for Christian organisations to make a step change in their capacity, reach, impact and spiritual growth, enabling them to forge connections with many more people and communities who will benefit from their work.
Brighter Lives Grant - helping Christian organisations to respond to the long-term impact throughout society of Covid-19 on people’s mental health – whatever their faith, or none.
More info here https://benefacttrust.co.uk/
Grantfinder is a grants database which searches over 8000 funding schemes, the Diocese can provide you with access or complete a funding search on your behalf. Please contact Libby, firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.