DAC and Faculties
The Faculty System
Before making any changes or repairs to your church building check whether permission is required. You can do this via the Online Faculty System (OFS). Here's a short video about the process:
The OFS has three options:
List A applications will cover routine maintenance or minor like-for-like repairs and require no formal permission to proceed, although both the DAC Secretary and the Diocesan Registrar are notified.
List B applications will cover straightforward works (e.g. replacing an existing boiler) that have little or no impact on the historic fabric of the church or churchyard. They are reviewed by a DAC member and require the permission of the Diocesan Registrar before they can proceed.
Full faculty applications go to a DAC meeting when the application will be discussed and commented on. If your church is a listed building the relevant Local Authority and the Amenity Societies are also consulted. Following the DAC meeting, the application moves to the Registrar for the next stage who in turn will submit to the Chancellor for a final decision, all via the OFS.
You will need to register on the system in order to apply for a faculty. https://churchheritagecymru.org.uk/Secure/Register.aspx
Make sure you've uploaded all the necessary information - there's a check list here Supporting Documentation for Faculty Applications.docx
A PCC Resolution supporting the faculty application will be needed.
- Parishes have options of either submitting a full set of PCC Minutes or the relevant extract in support of a faculty application.
- In either case the Minutes must be signed, and must also refer to the fact that a resolution to apply for a faculty was put to the PCC and passed.
- Upload the PCC Resolution to the ‘Supporting Documents’ section of the application.
If you are still unsure of anything or need help with the application then please contact Jonathan Perons, our DAC Secretary.
07950 644023 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Monmouth DAC Members
- The Ven Jonathan Williams, Archdeacon of Newport (Chair)
- The Ven Sue Pinnington, Archdeacon of Gwent Valleys, Acting Archdeacon of Monmouth
- Rev'd John Connell
- Rev'd Dean Aaron Roberts
- Mr Edward Holland (Conservation/Architecture Advisor).
- Mr Michael Plageman (CADW Representative)
- Mr Steven Knott (Surveyor)
- Mr Joseph Hotson (Local Authorities)
- Mr Ashley Rogers (Structural Engineer)
- Dr Peter Webster (Archaeologist)
- Professor Ray Howell (Archaeology/Local History)
- Mr Andrew Bull (Bells Advisor)
- Ms Rachel Howells (Artefact Conservation Advisor)
- Mr Oliver Fairclough (Arts Advisor)
- Dr Emma Gibbins (Organs Advisor)
- Ms Judith Leigh (Stained Glass Advisor)
- Mr Jonathan Perons (DAC Secretary)
- Mr Timothy Russen (Diocesan Registrar)
- H H Judge Mark Powell QC (Chancellor of the Diocese)
DAC Meeting Dates 2021
- 13th January
- 3rd March
- 28th April
- 9th June
- 21st July
- 1st September
- 20th October
- 15th December
- Archdeacon of Monmouth
- Dean of St Woolos Cathedral
Click the link above to see how faculty applications are processed.
|Faculty reference/Date Added||Parish/church||Applying for|
|2021-006209 29/03/2021||St Deiniol, Itton||Tower Repairs|
|2020-006038 29/03/2021||St Andrew, Tredunnock||1) Repairs to the plaster and subsequent redecoration in the Chancel. 2) Repairs to the Priest's Door leading from the Chancel.|