Diocesan Link to the Highveld
On 19th November 2003, Bishop Dominic Walker of Monmouth and Bishop David Beetge of The Highveld signed an agreement linking our two diocese for five years. The link has been maintained since then and was renewed for a further five years in 2018.
Since then visitors have travelled between the dioceses and parishes have formed their own individual links.
The link said:
Our purpose is to journey together as brothers and sisters in Christ on a common pilgrimage of faith and discipleship.
Therefore we will develop a Companion Link Relationship of equal partners between our dioceses which is:
- mutually supportive
- mutually enriching
Our aim is
- to strengthen Mission and Evangelism in the Church Communities of both dioceses
- to increase awareness between us of our solidarity in the cause of Christ
- to respect and learn of and from each other’s cultural heritage
- to enable the world to recognise more clearly God’s mission
The agreement is
- to embrace a Companion Link Relationship for an initial period of five years
- to set up support structures in each diocese to foster ways of expressing the relationship at Diocesan and Parochial levels
- to encourage an interchange of people and skills
- to review and evaluate our relationship towards the end of the period of five years
SIGNED THIS NINETEENTH DAY OF NOVEMBER
IN THE YEAR OF OUR LORD TWO THOUSAND AND THREE IN THE CATHEDRAL CHURCH OF ST WOOLOS, NEWPORT