A faculty is an “ecclesiastical license” for works to church buildings, their contents and/or churchyards. Its purpose is to ensure that works are carried out in a sympathetic manner that respects the building’s theological, architectural, historical and archaeological importance. It is also a means of obtaining permission from The Representative Body of The Church in Wales, as the owner of the building, land or item in question.

Application for a faculty is made online here. Once the completed application has been received, it will be considered by the Diocesan Advisory Committee for the Care of Churches (DAC). Cadw, your Local Authority and the Amenity Societies will also be consulted if your church is a Listed Building, or within a Conservation Area. The Diocesan Chancellor will consider this advice when deciding whether to grant the faculty. If you are thinking of applying for a faculty for a church within the Diocese of Monmouth, you are advised to contact the Care of Churches Team, who can advise you about which forms to submit and what supporting documentation will be needed (such as specifications, photographs, plans, etc.).

You will need a faculty for most works within your church or churchyard, although some minor works and maintenance tasks are exempt. You can find more detailed guidance of faculties, permissions and contracts here.

Please be aware that certain works will still require Planning Permission and/or approval under the Building Regulations. If you are unsure, you are advised to clarify this with your Local Authority as soon as possible.